We had discussed eventually separating our kids into their own bedrooms once we got settled into our new house. Initially I did not want to mess with their routine or disturb our school schedule. However, we quickly realized our two year old needs about three less hours of sleep than everyone else in our house *insert big eye emoji*. I am going to take this opportunity to interject that we do have a bedtime routine and we are pretty diligent about sticking to it ( mainly for our own sanity). He is just a little more high energy than the rest of us and wakes up every morning on a mission. Most nights at bedtime we hear our daughter screaming for us to come upstairs and remove him from her bed. Or he kindly decides to body slam her first thing in the morning. All this being said, her room quickly moved to the top of the list of priority projects. Well, that and a set of black out curtains for our sons room.
I have been planning my side patio for awhile. Now that it is finally warming up, it is time to start!!
I purchased this stencil from cutting edge stencils:
My plan is to give it a cement tile look, without the cost or probability of the tile being destroyed over a bad winter.
When I started the One Room Challenge I told myself I would stick to a strict budget…you should hear me laughing over here…because once the ball got rolling it was pretty hard to stop.
There were a few factors that contributed to the spending. First, some of the furniture I counted on was still being used to stage my old house. Two, the time constraints forced me to buy a few more things than I initially expected to DIY. Third, sometimes things just add up faster than you realize. Fourth, sometimes I have zero self control ( I admit it). I don’t regret spending what I did, but it is a good reminder to keep better track of a budget throughout the duration of a project…not just at the end like I did.
I recently purchased a new sofa.
Big shocker there. Continue reading “The Mammoth Lumbar Project”
We made it!!!!!!! I’m sitting here at midnight the day before the ORC reveals hopped up on caffeine, cinnamon toast crunch and chocolate (we can discuss my questionable dietary choices later)…the point is that I am done! Finished! Complete….Well maybe not entirely – I am still living out of boxes in my master bedroom and my TV is propped up on saw horses- but the Dining room is done and this was the whole point of the ORC. To make one room complete in its entirety! ( I warn you now, there are going to be a crap ton of exclamation marks in this post – you are reading my tone correctly – Excitedly screaming!).
Are you kidding me…Week 5 *insert all the freaking out face emoji’s*. I can’t believe how fast the last five weeks have gone. For the past twelve years my professional life has been all about deadlines-engineers thrive on them- so it has been a really interesting transition channeling the same kind of planning and motivation I would spend on an engineering project into this room design. I have loved the creative challenge and stretching myself to make decisions, build furniture and practice my styling. Plus it has given me a great excuse to buy a few coveted decorating items to accessorize 🙂
Well here we are, Week 4 of the ORC! No one told me how fast these six week would fly. I feel like each week I have made big strides toward developing the dining room, building the banquette and buying the materials. Unfortunately, I can’t mark one item off my list yet and that is definitely makes me nervous. I am also awaiting a few key order to arrive in the mail and that is stressing me out. I keep having that “falling behind feeling”…but if college taught me anything it is that an all-nighter cram session can bring it home in a crunch. I might have learned a few other things…but that post is for another day 😛